Friday, February 1, 2013

Sew Thinky Thursday

Have you seen the new link party over at Mommy's Nap Time? Every Thursday she's asking a new question with a linky party. This weeks is..

When did you start sewing? Tell us a bit about your sewing history. When did you realize you were really hooked? 


I started sewing in high school, my teacher was called Mrs Bartholemew and she loved all things Lady Di. We mainly made clothes although there is one little patchwork cushion that my mother still has. 

Mrs B was the worst champion of body issues, she always added four sizes to what we were, she insisted I was a size 20 when I was in yr 10, I'm still not a size 20 now, so there was many huge shirts to come out of that class. Once I sewed my finger and she took me to hospital.
Many years went by and I studied Garment manufacture at TAFE, this was mainly an excuse to live on the North Coast of NSW, I learned a lot 
about pattern drafting though, a skill which I never use,

More years later I won a quilt in a raffle, now it's grandmaish and dull and dowdy, but OMFG I love it, it's the perfect weight and I've made my husband promise to save it if there's a fire. I got all worried about this quilt wearing out so I decided it was time I learned how to make a quilt. I'd wander into my local quilt store and look at all the fabric and hope that Karyn (the owner) would take pity on me and give me a quilt, she never did. So, one day I saw Blush by Basic Grey and fucking had to have that fabric. I went home and cut and sewed and didn't take off the selvages and just had a ball. I made a top in a day. I had no idea how to quilt it and quilting magazines are less than useful in that area. Luckily I  discovered blogs. OH MY FUCK, how did I not know about this universe before? So with help from Leah Day and Rita Hodge I quilted my first quilt, it's not perfect, but it's still well loved.

And then I was hooked.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's pretty fabulous for a first quilt...the fabric colors are PERFECT! As for garments, I did get back into that a bit this past winter, but much prefer the flat, pieced, quick quilts...I do love to sew bags, though. Hope your have a wonderful Friday - I'm so excited that I've met someone on here that's not afraid to talk like I do, either! :-) Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story! I'm glad you've found blogs - that's where I've learned nearly everything too. :)

    Thanks for linking up! Hope to see you around next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a wonderful first quilt. It had a top and a back, which is more than I can say for my first quilt. The thing is that we need to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete